Friday, May 2, 2008

Find People on Twitter

Are you using Twitter? I've been using it for almost a year now. At first I thought, "I really don't care when so and so is getting a latte!" But now I can see all of the benefits. Now that I have built up quite a network of library and technology professionals, when I have a question, I can just throw it out to my Twitter network and within minutes I usually get an answer or some advice. It's wonderful.

Today, Jeremiah twittered about a cool tool to find people to follow on Twitter. It's called, Who Should I Follow. I decided to check it out. WOW, it works really well. My list included many library professionals that I don't yet follow. Nothing on the site explains how this "magic" happens but I assume it looks at who I am already following and then looks at who they follow and brings back the people that match best. Pretty cool. If you use Twitter, check it out. If you don't, why not take the plunge?

Want to learn more about Twitter. Check out CommonCraft's great video explanation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie I am so glad you are going to come back to Twitter! I have come to love it so. For instance the other day I decided I wanted a new camera. I asked for recommendations and found a great one. (Now just waiting for my tax check).

It can suck up a lot of time so I subscribe via RSS feed. The only drawback is the time delay. My response may not be when someone needs it.

I think next week I'll try setting a timer at work. 55 minutes with no distractions. 5 minutes to check tweets and then back again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to "get" twitter but now it's right at the top of my list of must-have tools. If you build your network carefully, (and the "Who should I follow" tool is a help), with knowledgeable people whose opinions you respect, you will have the best staffroom in the world!

Unknown said...

Yesterday I got free brownies and tech supporter from Microsoft on Twitter. Cool.

Love 'Who Should I follow" thx!

Stephanie Zimmerman said...

It seems anywhere Twitter is mentioned, feedback follows! Thanks Lori, Diane and Marianne for your comments. I'm anxious to hear how your experiment works Lori. I'm checking out coComment thanks to your blog Diane and maybe I'll get brownies today Marianne!